Monday, 31 December 2018

2018 round up

It has been almost 6 months since I posted anything here, I have been making though, just not had time to blog it all.

In the summer I made a lot,  I have lost almost 2 stone and none of my summer clothes fitted anymore, nice problem to have. I wasn't loosing weight to change how I looked but to try and get rid of the persistent heart burn I was suffering from. The heavier I got the worse it got so it was a no brainer since my Mum died of Oesophageal cancer that had no doubt started as Barrat's oesophagus which is caused by persistent heart burn. Loosing weight has worked, I have had heart burn maybe 3 times in the last 6 months which is amazing!

Anyway, on to the sewing!


I have blogged a few of these makes but not all of them.

So, starting from the top left:

Jalie Swimsuit 3350. This was fun to make and went together fairly easily. The swimsuit fits perfectly.

Love Sewing Mag shorts and trousers, from a free pattern and I made up the instructions. I used left over jersey from the jumpsuit I made for the trousers and stash jersey (originally from the Village Haberdashery years ago in the sale) for the shorts.

McCalls 7629 cropped blouse. I got the pattern during the big pattern swap and made it in some apple print cotton from my stash.

See & Sew B5166 wrap dress, love it but not had an occasion to wear it yet.

2 McCalls 6844 Cardis, boring staples in the wardrobe. The creamy one has some wool in it and is itchy, the mint one has a bit too much stretch in the fabric but is fine. Both have been worn loads.

Simplicity 1318 Kimono, worn a lot in the summer, hopefully we get the weather again in 2019!

A 1980's pattern top, see the last blog post.

The autumn was much slower on the sewing front, my Granny was in hospital (and in the last few weeks moved into a care home) so I didn't have as much care to do for her which meant I could take on more paid work. Great for the bank balance but not so good for personal sewing, spending all day altering and mending zaps the desire to sew for fun!


I did finished my husbands long awaited jacket, it took over 6 months to complete and I am not entirely happy with it, I will definitely make another jacket but I will use a better pattern the next time, this one, Kwik Sew 3485, was not great.

I also made the Clare Coat by Closetcase patterns. What a lovely pattern! I made it from wool in my stash that had been Mum's and the sleeves are my old 1993 suede trousers! The lining was small bits of silk from my stash.


Then we got a cat and the only things I have made since is a Halifax Hoodie Sweatshirt and 2 tartan skirts! Smidge the cat is gorgeous though, I would never have thought I would turn into a crazy cat lady but I appear to have....!

My sewing / buying plans for 2019 involve not buying anything new and continuing to work through my fabric stash. I did buy some new jersey a few months ago to make into some new Lady Skater / Montea / other jersey dresses and a few tops as a lot of mine are on their last legs and I don't have much useful sized jersey in my stash. Maybe I will get some sewing done this week....

See you in 2019!






Thursday, 12 July 2018

New Look 6429 - 1980's summer tops


I have had this pattern lurking in my pattern stash for years since it was given to my by my Aunt when she was clearing out.

I decided to try out a couple of the top patterns. The pattern was cut in a 16 so I went with that as it matched my measurements fairly well.


The vest top turned out massive so I took it in and lifted the sleeves and now it is wearable. I attempted a second version in the smaller size but it was a miserable failure, no idea what I did wrong but it was awful! I think I will stick with the By Hand London Polly top for any more woven vest tops I fancy!



The fake wrap top was made in the left over fabric from my kimono with cream linen for the back. It fits fine, I used the 16, took it in a wee bit but not nearly as much as the vest top!


It is much boxier that I normally wear and the excess fabric in the front that is supposed to be drapey isn't really when it is made in this cotton. It would be gorgeous in a proper drapey fabric but this has been nice and cool in the hot weather.

I'm not sure this pattern will get another outing, can't help but think that all the  effort loosing weight is lost when I wear these boxy woven tops that just hang from the bust!



Tuesday, 10 July 2018

Simplicity 1318 - Kimono Jacket


My second make for the summer was Simplicity 1318. It has been in my 'to make' pile for over a year but was not needed last year as the weather here was bad and Iceland was not the country for needing summer clothes!



I made version B in cotton that my Dad brought back from Oman years ago. It went together easily, although I somehow managed to get the fronts uneven. I had to unpick / re hem one side, which was annoying and now it is a couple of inches shorter at the front that it is supposed to be. It's still wearable though and I have a kimono to try and stop my shoulders burning on holiday - they always seem to catch the sun no no matter how much cream I put on.

Really need to re press that back seam...!
This would be gorgeous in a printed silk, I am imagining liberty silk, but can't justify the cost for something that will be worn a handful of times a year (unless summers like this happen every year which I doubt!) I will have to keep searching ebay!