Tuesday 17 May 2011

DIY: How to recycle an unwanted tie.

My Grandad had a clear out of his wardrobe recently and I salvaged a few things before they went to the charity shop, including 4 ties (obviously, the hoarder that I am...)

I didn't want the ties hanging around for too long in an unused state so I decided fabric flowers were the way to go! I have a mild obsession with fabric and yarn flowers so another few additions were welcome.

It is a super simple process.

Take a tie and a needle and thread

 then fold over the end of the tie (to make a thicker bit to start wrapping round, you could tie a knot but this is a wool tie and the knot was bulky) then twist the tie and wrap it round the knot/folded bit, once about half way round twist and wrap again and keep going until you have gone round a couple of times then stitch it to hold the shape.
trying to show the twist and wrap!
 then keep doing it until the tie is gone and a beautiful flower has appeared!



It really is that simple. They are quite bulky, especially if you use a wool tie like I did here, but they make fab corsages on smart jackets and coats. I have had many compliments about this one :)








3 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea!

    I would love if you came and linked this project to my clothes upcycling page. It has a long term linky, so your project would stay there for more than just the week of a usual linky. We have over 60 projects linked up now – some fantastic ideas – and this month I’m upcycling lots of clothes and trying to feature lots of the links too!
    Do come and take a look!
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jill, have linked up and spent ages browsing. Thanks for inviting me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, I've made one of these before but pleated it more I think, it gives another different look. I just made mine into an oversized brooch, great for winter time.

    http://www.rubymurraysmusings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.