Thursday, 12 July 2018

New Look 6429 - 1980's summer tops

I have had this pattern lurking in my pattern stash for years since it was given to my by my Aunt when she was clearing out.

I decided to try out a couple of the top patterns. The pattern was cut in a 16 so I went with that as it matched my measurements fairly well.

The vest top turned out massive so I took it in and lifted the sleeves and now it is wearable. I attempted a second version in the smaller size but it was a miserable failure, no idea what I did wrong but it was awful! I think I will stick with the By Hand London Polly top for any more woven vest tops I fancy!

The fake wrap top was made in the left over fabric from my kimono with cream linen for the back. It fits fine, I used the 16, took it in a wee bit but not nearly as much as the vest top!

It is much boxier that I normally wear and the excess fabric in the front that is supposed to be drapey isn't really when it is made in this cotton. It would be gorgeous in a proper drapey fabric but this has been nice and cool in the hot weather.

I'm not sure this pattern will get another outing, can't help but think that all the  effort loosing weight is lost when I wear these boxy woven tops that just hang from the bust!

Tuesday, 10 July 2018

Simplicity 1318 - Kimono Jacket

My second make for the summer was Simplicity 1318. It has been in my 'to make' pile for over a year but was not needed last year as the weather here was bad and Iceland was not the country for needing summer clothes!

I made version B in cotton that my Dad brought back from Oman years ago. It went together easily, although I somehow managed to get the fronts uneven. I had to unpick / re hem one side, which was annoying and now it is a couple of inches shorter at the front that it is supposed to be. It's still wearable though and I have a kimono to try and stop my shoulders burning on holiday - they always seem to catch the sun no no matter how much cream I put on.

Really need to re press that back seam...!
This would be gorgeous in a printed silk, I am imagining liberty silk, but can't justify the cost for something that will be worn a handful of times a year (unless summers like this happen every year which I doubt!) I will have to keep searching ebay!

Wednesday, 4 July 2018

Closet Case Patterns Sallie Jumpsuit

I have been in a sewing frenzy for the last month and a bit, altering and making new summer clothes. I have lost 23lb and nothing fits! The first thing I made was the Closet Case Patterns  Sallie Jumpsuit, I figured the stretchy nature of it would shrink with me more than a woven jumpsuit.

I saw a few versions of  this during Me Made May and fell in love with the simple style. I bought the pattern at the end of May and, for once, it got made immediately. The heavens aligned and I had exactly the right fabric in my stash so I whizzed this up in an afternoon and evening.

I used a viscose jersey and cut between a 12 and 14. I extended the body based on my measurements but didn't need to really so won't bother the next time. I love the fit and it feels just like wearing PJ's so that's a big win!

The weather has been so amazing that it has actually had a few outings and will have lots more when we go on holiday in a week.

I have loads of versions of this queued up in my head to make but I don't have any more suitable fabric. I may have to buy some and make a shorts version for holidays although time is running out and the weather is so good it feels wrong to be sitting indoors sewing. I am pretty sure that is a Scottish thing, to get the 'not using the good weather effectively' guilt!

Same goes for summer blog posts, I have lots more summer sewing to blog about, 2 tops, a kimono, a woven jumpsuit, a dress and a swimsuit, just need to get some half decent photos and for it to rain so there is no guilt!