A Sorbetto Top - Only 3 years late to the party :)

20:20

I think everyone in the sewing world has made a Sorbetto top but I never thought it would do anything for me so have resisted the urge... until now!

I am going to start doing some local sewing classes and wanted a free and fairly easy pattern to begin with so thought I would test out the Sorbetto.



It was easy to make and is a great stash buster. I cut a size 12 over the bust and just under bust area, reducing to an 8 over the hips. I also made the shoulders more square and deepened the arm hole to take account of my ample upper arms!


I had an issue with major baggyness in the top of bust arm hole area to I just stuck in a few extra darts and that sorted it. I should probably have worked out the correct size for my high bust then done a FBA, that was far too much work though :)

It fits nicely and, surprisingly, doesn't make me look too huge! I think I will make more for the summer and maybe even try adding sleeves to one.

Now, I am off to attack my 2 week old Josephine top with some Dylon. Hopefully it will emerge looking slightly less like 'convent/religious institution' wear (do not make it out of plain cream cotton!!) If it goes well I will be back to show you :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love the fabric! I have never got to grips with the sorbetto. I made it once but it is too wide, too short, and I used quilting cotton which was too stiff. It was also my frost attempt at bias binding, and that was a disaster! Perhaps I should try again though, yours is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up putting the same darts in my sorbetto that you have. Such a small top I really couldn't be bothered spending the time and effort altering it with a proper FBA either. I think I have only ever worn mine on very hot days mucking out the hen house!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...