Tuesday 4 March 2014

Shrove Tuesday - Scotch Pancake recipe

I would normally make pancakes with the kids after tea on Shrove Tuesday but today is my Cousin's 16th Birthday so I will be at her house eating cake after tea!

Knowing that this excuse wouldn't be good enough for E & E I made these Pancakes this morning, ready for them to munch when they get home from school!


Scotch Pancakes (recipe from my Granny!)

7 dessert spoons of plain flour
2 dessert spoons of sugar (I normally only add 1.5)
1tsp cream of tartar
0.5tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 egg
milk

Mix dry ingredients.

Add an egg and enough milk to make a thick batter.

Heat and lightly grease a girdle or griddle or frying pan (this is the key, too much butter on the girdle and they burn on the outside and are raw in the  middle, it has taken me years to realise this...!)

Plop on 4 dessert spoons of batter.

When the surface bubbles turn them.

Remove from girdle when bottom is brown.

I always then put them on their side and gently roll them on the girdle a bit as I make my batter thick so the pancakes are thicker so still a bit underdone when the top and bottom are golden brown.

Eat on their own or with raspberry jam -yum!







Linking to some of these parties!

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a great pancake recipe - will try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My gran used to make these too. We had crepes tonight for tea, and introduced small boy to to the concept of Nutella. He wants to have them again tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.