Wednesday 15 April 2015

The quest for the perfect trouser...



I am on a mission to make the 'perfect' trouser. So far I have failed. I thought I was on to a winner when I bought V8961, this is the picture in the latest Sew Today magazine:


They look slim but not skinny and have a side zip so a nice clean line. I bought some navy and white polka dot cotton to make them in but did a trial run in a black cotton I had in the stash. Thank goodness I did as they are not exactly as pictured...

I didn't take a photo in the original state but at first I cut a 16 at the waist and went down to a 14 for the hips and legs. They were baggy in the legs, not at all how the official picture looks, and had enough room in the front crotch that I could have hidden anything down there....

I ended up taking them in up the front crotch seam and tapered the outer leg seam in so it is narrower than the size 8 at the hem. This is what they look like now:



They are ok, wearable, but just ok. There is still loads of excess fabric at the back of the leg and at mid thigh. I'm now undecided whether to actually use this pattern at all or try and draft my own. I bought the burda pattern blocks so think maybe this is the way to go.

Anyone have any suggestions to fix this pattern or on drafting my own?


2 comments:

  1. It's kind of hard to see with the black. They don't look too bad, but yes there still looks like a bit of excess. I have absolutely no idea how to fix this though, sorry. I have bought the Ultimate Trouser pattern, so hoping to try that soon - I am also planning polka dots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow creating your own pattern sounds brave! Would you go too a class to work on that? With this black pair can you get someone to pin the excess out? Too difficult to do on your own though. Having said that they are perfectly wearable- I'd wear them anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.