Wednesday 8 July 2015

A New Party Dress

It's party dress season in this house again! This is the first year in many that I have made a dress for little e as she is so fussy about what she wears. Normally the things I make sit, unworn, in the wardrobe until they are too small.

This year was different, my parents celebrated their Ruby Wedding anniversary on Sunday and about a month ago Mum took little e shopping to buy fabric for a dress for her party. This seemed to be the key...


She chose a quilting cotton with multi coloured butterflies on a black background. Nothing like what I would have chosen but she loved it. Then, after much deliberation, she chose this pattern:



McCalls 6020, view C but without the band. I cut the bodice front with extra length to take account of the  removed band and it worked well. I only lined the bodice as thought it would be a bit warm with a fully lined dress.

Initially she wanted sleeves as well but I got carried away and before I knew where I was had a fully lined bodice. There was no going back as I had clipped corners etc so the sleeves were scrapped and a we bought a new cardi instead.

why oh why does she always have to pull a face.... like mother like daughter I suppose :)
I also made a matching hairband - this was very well received!


I hope she will wear the dress again for her birthday in August but I have a suspicion that she might ask for another one that fully meets spec this time :)


7 comments:

  1. What a cute dress and definitely a good idea to let her choose fabric to maximise the chance of it being worn. My wee girl is less than 2 and already fussy about her clothes. I don't really mind except it's annoying when handmade things (Granny-made cardis!) are rejected

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks totally fab! Often the clothes i make or even buy for my little lady sit at the back of the cupboard even though i involve her in the decision making pricess before i make it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not holding my breath that this will ever be worn again but hopefully....!!

      Delete
  3. It looks totally fab! Often the clothes i make or even buy for my little lady sit at the back of the cupboard even though i involve her in the decision making pricess before i make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter chose well, these butterflies are really cute. Hope she wears it lots. It is such s fab feeling seeing them dressed in mummy made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, especially when they get asked where they got it and declare that Mummy made it :)

      Delete
  5. This is lovely. I think getting her to choose was a great idea! And she looks so like you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.